Unlocking the Creative Leader takes place over three days in English countryside settings chosen to inspire you. Our next cohort will take place at Bartley Lodge in the New Forest in May 2018.
Words – both written and spoken – are an important part of the way a leader is perceived. You need to use them well. Persuasive words will improve your operational performance and your strategic influence.
Writing helps you position yourself – to bridge worldviews and to bring impact to both small and large tasks. It enables you to gain support for and commitment to your cause. What you write matters – whether it’s a proposal, a strategy, a report, an email or any of those communications generated daily. Through this approach you achieve greater buy-in by being authentic to yourself and clear to your audiences.
The programme will challenge and support you to:
- Be successful in influencing and inspiring others in your institution
- Lead through creating and communicating a shared strategic narrative for your institution and its distinctive role in the Higher Education sector
- Learn and practise how to motivate colleagues and external audiences through clear and authentic written and spoken communications
- Co-create an open culture in which to work on during the programme, alongside peers from other institutions
Your programme experience
The programme will draw on your own unique strengths, and enable you to work collaboratively with other participants. With your two facilitators, you’ll work through a sequence of group tasks and individual writing activities which will help you to define and project your identity as a leader.
You will then work on creating approaches to communicating your leadership signature in your institution and with external audiences, and practise using these approaches in a supportive, confidential environment.
Our outline programme structure covers:
- Establishing the working climate
- Exploring the narrative challenges for your leadership
- Introduction to creative action learning: generating micro-stories
- Deepening our individual and collective sense of leadership identity
- Your organisation’s strategy: converted and translated into different genres
- Writing a narrative of the organisation’s future journey
- Using scenarios to map a future for your areas of leadership responsibility
- Creative action learning: the story of impact of your leadership on your organisation, and how you can strengthen it
- Writing authentic leadership blogs
This programme will rely on devoting attention and feedback to each individual participant on their own work on writing and communication.
Unlocking the Creative Leader
Locations and venues
Steeped in history, this beautiful 18th century, Grade II listed hotel, is situated on the outskirts of the New Forest near Lyndhurst. Once a private hunting lodge, the hotel retains both an old-world charm whilst nodding to more modern features (including a swimming pool). A winning feature of this venue is its commitment to locally sourced produce, which we’ll enjoy over the course of this three day programme.
A: Cadnam, Near Lyndhurst, Hampshire, SO40 2NR
Register your interest
If you would like to register your interest or have any questions about Unlocking the Creative Leader please email Louise Clifton, e: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writing for Impact: Academic Researchers
One-day workshop for academic researchers who need to create greater impact and engagement with their writing.
Writing for Impact: Course Leaders
One-day workshop for those who need to communicate with students, colleagues and a large range of external audiences.
Writing your Future
Two-day residential programme for academic and professional services managers and leaders.
Working with you and your team to design a programme to fit your needs.